Frequently Asked Questions

Click + to expand. Click - to close.

Question Areas


Why must I be a member of Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba to practise in Manitoba?
It is the law. The Engineering and Geoscientific Professions Act, an Act of the Manitoba Legislature, states that to legally practise Engineering or Geoscience in Manitoba, you must be registered as a Professional Member of Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba or practice under the supervision of a Professional Member of the Association.

To become a P.Eng. or P.Geo. you must either enroll as an intern with Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba or transfer in as a P.Eng. or P.Geo. under the inter-association mobility agreement with another provincial engineering or geoscience regulator. However, there is no transferring of status at the pre-registration level.
Why is the membership process complicated, how much does it cost, and how long does it take?
The short answer is that the membership process is complicated because Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba reviews applications thoroughly. Since the process partly depends on the number of applications we receive, and the availability of our volunteer committee members, we cannot guarantee a specific timeframe. Cost also varies. For example, if you are an internationally educated professional, the membership process can cost up to $7,000 and take up to 7 years to complete.
What is my Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba ID number?
As part of the membership process, Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba will assign you a ID number. You can use your ID to log in to your profile on the Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba website. If you are or have been a Student with the Association or an Academic Assessment applicant, or have previously been registered with the Association, you will already have an Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba ID number. Please quote this number when you contact our office. If you are uncertain whether or not you have a ID number, make sure you ask. We do not want to create duplicate records for you.
Who, in addition to the Association, can help me navigate the membership process?
Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba recommends that you establish informal relationships with Professional Members to provide advice, support, and impartial guidance. Consider networking through industry events such as the Association's annual Ingenium Conference and annual Student Networking Event.
English is not my first language but I received my undergraduate degree in English. Do I meet Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba's English language proficiency requirements?
Yes. However, the Association reserves the right to require any applicant to demonstrate proficiency in oral and written English. See > Language Requirements for details.
Who do I contact for more information about membership with Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba?
Contact the Director of Admissions.
What if I have started the pre-registration process in another province?
If you are enrolled in a pre-registration program in another province, and are moving to Manitoba, you are advised to remain enrolled in that province, complete your registration, and register in Manitoba later as a Mobility applicant.

Academic Assessment

Can I apply for an Academic Assessment before I settle in Manitoba?
Yes. You may submit your complete application package by mail or courier. We recommend that you do not send originals but instead send notarized copies. Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba is not responsible for documents that go missing in the mail.
Must I be a permanent resident of Manitoba to have my credentials assessed?
You may apply for an academic assessment regardless of your immigration status. However, you must physically be in Canada to write exams and you must be legally entitled to work in Canada in order to obtain your Canadian work experience requirement.
How long will it take to receive my academic assessment results?
You should receive your results approximately four weeks following the receipt of all required documents as listed in the application form. However, if Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba requires additional information, or if a full review is required, it will take longer.
Why does it take so long to have my foreign degree assessed?
Foreign degrees are more complicated to assess than domestic ones.
I cannot obtain the syllabus from the university I attended. What do I do?
If an official syllabus is not available, we recommend that you type each course description from memory, send it to your university, and ask your university to stamp or seal each page to prove that it is accurate and correct.
I need to have my documents notarized and translated. Where do I go for this?
Please see > Language Requirements for details on notarized translations.
May I perform Engineering or Geoscience work while Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba processes my application?
Yes, as long as you are working under the direct supervision of a Professional Engineer or Geoscientist who takes full responsibility for your work. According to The Engineering and Geoscientific Professions Act, you may not work as a Professional Engineer or Geoscientist, nor assume any title implying that you are a Professional Engineer or Geoscientist, until you become registered as such with Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba.
Why must I complete confirmatory exams if I've already studied the subjects in the CEQB syllabus?
Confirmatory examinations are assigned to confirm the level and quality of your academic training. They are professional-level examinations, covering material typically studied in the final two years of a bachelor's program.

Confirmatory examinations are assigned to confirm knowledge that you have, therefore, Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba will not waive confirmatory examinations based solely on the fact that you have taken courses that appear similar to the assigned examinations. The assignment of confirmatory examinations should not be taken as an indication of the quality of your degree(s).
Can I appeal to waive exams? What is the appeal process?
Yes. Please see Appeals for details on the appeals process. Please note that if you appeal to waive exams (other than Engineering Economics) only on the basis that you have taken the material covered in the syllabus, Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba will reject your appeal. (See Question #9 above)
What if I fail to complete the exams within the stated timeframe?
If you are unable to write all the exams within the stated timeframe, you may submit a written request to Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba to extend your timeframe, otherwise your file will be closed. Requests for extensions are evaluated on a case-by-case basis. See > Exams or Alternatives for details.
What is the IEEQ program? How can I apply?
The Internationally Educated Engineers Qualification (IEEQ) program is an education program. It helps internationally educated Engineers meet part of the requirements to become registered as Professional Engineers with Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba. If you complete the Academic Assessment process and are assigned five (5) or fewer confirmatory exams, you are eligible to apply for the IEEQ program. IEEQ is administered by the University of Manitoba and consists of matching exams assigned to courses available at the university. The IEEQ program offers a comprehensive syllabus that includes matched courses, a Law and Ethics course, a Canadian Culture in the Workplace course, and a co-op work term placement. For details on the IEEQ and how to apply, visit
What happened after I pass the required exams or courses?
Once you pass the assigned exams or courses, you would be eligible to write the ABC Test and become an engineering or geoscience Intern. Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba will mail you information on how to write the ABC Test and apply for the Intern program.

ABC Test

Must I write the ABC Test?
All new applicants must write the ABC Test. Temporary Licensees must rewrite the ABC Test every three years. If your student enrollment has lapsed with the Association at any time after passing a university-acquired ABC Test, you must rewrite the test. If you are reinstating and you did not resign in good standing, you must write or rewrite the ABC Test.
What if I fail the ABC Test?
The ABC Test is an open book, straightforward test. It is unlikely that you will fail. However, if you do fail, you will be given a number of opportunities to pass. Our concern is only that you are familiar with the Act, By-laws and Code of Ethics. If you fail the ABC Test three times, we may ask you to attend an interview, during which you will discuss the purpose and function of Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba. You will be given a long-answer test to complete following the interview. There is no fee for the long-answer test.

Pre-Registration/Intern Program

What is the pre-registration program?
The pre-registration program is a mandatory pre-requisite to registration as a Professional Member of Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba, with a few exceptions (See Applicant Type). You must participate in the pre-registration program while you obtain the work experience necessary to become registered as a Professional Engineer or Geoscientist. See > Step 4: Pre-Registration for details.

Everyone claims work experience using progress reports submitted through their online profile. In certain cases the paper progress report form can be used. Administrative fees will be levied on those reports that are submitted late, if the person did not go through the academic assessment process first. Former assessment applicants are exempt from late fees since they have already paid for their academic assessment. However, they should still try to submit as promptly as possible.
Am I eligible for the pre-registration program?
You must either hold an accredited Engineering degree or complete an Academic Assessment and be deemed academically qualified. You must be at least 18 years of age, and you must be legally entitled to work in Canada. See Applicant Type to determine your eligibility.
Once I become an Intern, what next?
As an Intern, you will be required to participate in a structured program, whereby the Association will guide, record, monitor, and review the progress and quality of your Engineering or Geoscience work experience, professional development, and volunteer service. You are expected to obtain employment under the supervision of a Professional Engineer or Professional Geoscientist who is registered with the Association. Your supervisor must assume responsibility for your work, and you must acquire the acceptable work experience, volunteer service, and professional development.
What is acceptable work experience?
Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba requires all applicants for registration as Professional Members to have obtained at least four years of acceptable work experience, normally following academic qualification, under the guidance and supervision of a registered Professional Engineer or a registered Professional Geoscientist. The supervisor assumes full responsibility for the technical quality of the Intern's work. At least one year of this experience must be obtained in Canada.

Acceptable work experience is defined as comprising the practice of professional Engineering or professional Geoscience, which must include the application of theory, as well as exposure to the areas of practical experience, management, communication skills development, professionalism, ethical responsibilities, and the social implications of Engineering or Geoscience.

See Work Experience for details, including downloadable PDFs outlining acceptable work experience for Engineers and Geoscientists.
How will I know if my work experience will be acceptable to Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba?
As an Intern, you will participate in a structured program to guide, record, monitor, and review the progress and quality of your work experience.

As part of Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba's mandatory pre-registration program, you and your supervisor are required, for every 12 months of your experience (or more often, if you change jobs), to submit progress reports describing your work experience. Our Experience Review Committee will consider these reports, and will notify you of any concerns it may have regarding your work experience.
I want to register in another Canadian province. Will all provincial associations accept my work experience obtained through a post-graduate degree, for example a Masters or PhD?
While Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba does not set hard limits on the amount of experience that may be credited via post-graduate degree(s), other associations may. Often, at least one year of experience must be earned outside of academia in order to register as a Professional Member. If you intend to register in another province, and your registration as a Professional Member with Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba was based purely on academic experience, the other province may ask for additional requirements such as a description of industry experience in order for you to become registered. Check the requirements in the other province.
I am planning on taking a Master's degree. Will that count toward my work experience?
To obtain credit for your Research/Thesis based Canadian M.Sc. in engineering, you should do the following:
  1. Complete the M.Sc. including the thesis
  2. After becoming an Intern, submit the following documents to the pre-registration program coordinator:

    1. Copy of the M.Sc. diploma
    2. Copy of the official transcripts showing the completion of the M.Sc.
    3. The date on which you started the M.Sc. and the date on which you completed the M.Sc.
  3. Twelve months of credit towards your M.Sc. will be added to your profile. Please note, however, that if you are working full time while doing an M.Sc., you can get credit for only one of these. Also, if the M.Sc. is your only Canadian engineering/geoscience experience, you will still be required to get an additional 12 months of Canadian engineering/geoscience experience. Also note, that this credit is contingent on your having a Bachelor's degree as well as a Master's degree in engineering or geoscience. If you had an undergraduate degree other than engineering or geoscience, you will not be able to get credit for the M.Sc. because it would be considered part of your educational (rather than experience) requirements.
  4. Please note that while twelve months can be credited, it is still possible in certain cases for an Intern to require more than 48 months to complete the pre-registration program. Please review the Acceptable Engineering Work Experience (PDF) or Acceptable Geoscience Work Experience (PDF) documents.
How about a Ph.D. degree, and post-doctoral research work?
To obtain credit for Phd or post-doctoral work, you should complete your progress reports as you would any other progress reports, except you must indicate which portion of time was devoted to thesis work or the teaching of 3rd or 4th year engineering courses and which portion of time was devoted to other activities. This is done by clicking the - Are you claiming for post-graduation experience? button at the beginning of the progress report.

Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba will allow up to 48 months of credit for a Phd, however, the reports should be detailed with plenty of examples and should clearly follow the Acceptable Engineering Experience document or the Acceptable Geoscience Experience document.

Submitting your thesis in its entirety, or simply submitting a list of published papers is not considered a progress report and you will be asked to resubmit a report that does not clearly demonstrate the criteria that we are requesting.

Your work should clearly demonstrate your own research/design experience and should focus on issues and challenges that you may have encountered while doing this work - e.g. tight timelines, working with challenging co-workers, budgetary constraints, etc. and how you have solved them.
What if I'm working in an area different from the area of my degree?
The purpose of the work experience requirement is to demonstrate that you are able to put your education into practice. If you are working in an area that differs from your discipline of graduation, you may well require additional training or education, which will mean that you will likely require more than the four-year minimum to obtain sufficient qualifying work experience. Every case is different however, so please contact if you are uncertain.
What if I already have some work experience before I become an Intern?
If you have recently moved to Manitoba, and have obtained Engineering or Geoscience work experience elsewhere, submit progress reports and supervisor reports for all Engineering or Geoscience experience obtained outside the province as soon as possible after admission as an Engineering or Geoscience Intern.

Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba will consider these reports, and will notify you as to the acceptability of your previous work experience. You and your supervisor(s) will be required to submit additional progress reports, until you are eligible for registration as a Professional Member of Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba. All feedback from the Experience Review Committee goes back to your online profile, so you must log in to check.
What if some of my work experience was obtained in another country?
Foreign work experience may count for up to three years of your work experience requirement. This time is verified using the normal progress reporting process. However, the supervisor for the reporting period does not have to be a P.Eng. or P.Geo in Manitoba. To use the online reporting system, you will have to give your supervior guest password access.

At least twelve months of your work experience must be obtained in Canada, or in a Canadian environment such as a Canadian company abroad. In the latter case, these situations will be assessed on a case by case basis and the onus will be on the applicant to make the case for the similarity of their experience to an equivalent Canadian situation. In many instances, the work must have been performed in Canada for example, where there are climate considerations or where the work experience is deemed significantly different from an equivalent Canadian experience. The Experience Review Committee will make the decision regarding the suitability.

If you were an Academic Assessment applicant, Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba will consider work experience that is gained only after the date of academic qualification normally. Check your letter of academic qualification which you would have obtained at the end of the assessment process for this date. Normally, the date of academic qualification is the date of your Bachelor's degree. In some instances, depending on the assessment, the date of academic qualification may be the date of a later degreesuch as the Master's or Phd. This may happen, for example, if your first Bachelor's degree was not in engineering (or geoscience).

Pre-graduation credit will be considered, if absolutely necessary, following the same set of rules set out for pre-graduation credit. For those applicants who have more experience, it is often unnecessary and inadvisable to apply for pre-graduation credit since more current experience is considered the most relevant and should be claimed first.
What if there is no Professional Engineer or Professional Geoscientist supervising my work?
The Engineering and Geoscientific Professions Act requires that all Engineering and Geoscience work be performed by, or "under the immediate and direct personal supervision and guidance of", a Professional Engineer or Geoscientist "who assumes all responsibility for the work." There must, therefore, be a Professional Engineer or a Professional Geoscientist supervising your work.

If there is no Professional Engineer or a Professional Geoscientist at your place of employment, and if your work involves the practice of Professional Engineering or Professional Geoscience, you must have regular contact with a Professional Engineer or Professional Geoscientist who assumes all responsibility for your Engineering or Geoscience work (a mentor). Ideally, your employer will engage the Professional Engineer or Professional Geoscientist to serve as a consulting supervisor to you while you obtain the necessary experience.

You must identify your supervisor(s) in your progress report forms, and you will be expected to advise immediately if your supervisor ceases to assume responsibility for your work and you are unable to find another Professional Member to supervise your work. Both the mentor Engineer or Geoscientist and your direct (non-member) supervisor should complete their portions of the progress forms for each reporting period submitted for review.
Why does it take so long for the Association to provide feedback on my work experience progress reports?
Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba must receive the following before sending progress reports to the Experience Review Committee:
  • Progress report
  • Supervisor report
  • Mentor report (if required)

Reasons for delays include:

  • Unresponsive supervisors - As an Intern, you are responsible for encouraging supervisors to complete reports promptly. However, Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba will urge supervisors to act upon your request and if you have already tried to do so
  • Discipline-specific reviewers are unavailable
  • Too many reports to process at a given time
  • Your file(s) requires more clarification or discussion
The Association has not responded to my work experience progress report in over three months even though all comments have been submitted and are ready for review. What do I do?
If your report has been delayed more than 3 months, contact the Pre-Registration Program Coordinator and they will look into why there is a delay.
What are the Intern volunteer service and professional development requirements?
Throughout your formative period, you will be expected to enhance your professional and personal development by taking courses and seminars, attending conferences, becoming involved with technical and professional organizations, etc., and generally developing a commitment to life-long learning. As a part of the pre-registration program, you are required to develop an appreciation of the volunteer nature of the profession, and to participate in volunteer service activities each year.

See Volunteer Service and Professional Development for details.
When will I be eligible to write the Professional Practice Exam (PPE)?
You must pass the PPE to become eligible to register as a Professional Member of Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba. You may write the PPE at any time it is offered once you are enrolled as an Intern.
I have nearly completed the pre-registration program. Now what?
Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba will guide you through the pre-registration program to become registered as a Professional Member. Once you have nearly satisfied the requirements for your work experience, volunteer service, professional development and National Exam, the Association will invite you to submit references. You will be asked to name three Professional Members who are familiar with your work and can provide references on your behalf. Do not provide the references until requested. See Professional References for details.
What will Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba ask my references?
Your references will be asked to verify your work experience, provide information on your growth in terms of technical and professional judgment, and describe your professionalism, integrity, character, ability to work effectively as part of a team, ability to assume responsibility, commitment to life-long learning, etc. You can see the reference form on the Professional References page.
What if I move to another province before I complete the pre-registration program?
Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba has adopted national guidelines, which require a minimum of four years of work experience. While the work experience procedures may vary slightly from province to province, the work experience you obtain in Manitoba should be eligible for consideration by another association. As well, your successful completion of the Professional Practice Exam (PPE), which is a national examination, will exempt you from having to write a similar exam in any other province.

Contact the association in your new province as quickly as possible to establish its requirements.

Many prefer to complete the Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba program once it is started, even if you move to another province.
I've been working at the same company for the last 36 months, but haven't submitted a report. Should I still split the reports into the recommended intervals?
No. Please submit a longer and more detailed 36 month report. Do not submit shorter intervals if you have been working under the same supervision, and you are submitting after the fact.

It is important when sending a longer report that your report shows PROGRESSION. For example, you may describe less detailed projects at the beginning and more detailed and complex projects later in the report.

Administrative late fees may be applicable and will be assessed after ERC approval.
Is there a time limit for me to submit Pre-Grad experience?
Not right now. However, as of June 30, 2015, the Experience Review Committee will no longer accept pre-graduation work experince submitted more than 18 months after graduation.
In order to get onto the monthly Experience Review Committee (ERC) agenda, how early does my report have to be submitted?
Both your report and your supervisor's comments must be received at least two weeks before an ERC meeting to be considered eligible for the agenda. This does not mean, however, that the report will necessarily be reviewed at that meeting. While we make every effort to have your file reviewed, we cannot guarantee that it will be reviewed at the first meeting it may be eligible for.

There are many reasons a file may not make it on an ERC Agenda. Here are some of them:
  1. The reviewers are discipline-specific. If the right disciplines are not available that month, there is no choice but to delay.
  2. Some reports span multiple disciplines and we must make a best guess as to the correct reviewer. That reviewer may subsequently indicate that they are not able to review, and the file will have to be forwarded to another reviewer the following month.
  3. For some uncommon disciplines in Manitoba, such as petroleum engineering, or chemical engineering, we may need to find suitable reviewers, and finding these individuals can be difficult.
  4. At some times of the year, reviewers may take holidays and there will be fewer available than usual. Since reviewers are volunteers, we cannot compel those that remain to take up the slack (though many very graciously do).
  5. Near the end of the program, after 40 months confirmed experience, we will be requesting final references. The ERC prefers to review the final report along with the references in one sitting. We may therefore hold a file until this information is complete. (We understand that there may be a misconception that only the Registration Committee reviews the references. This is not true - both the Experience Review Committee and the Registration Committee review references).
We recognize the importance as you transition to a fully registered member, and will do everything in our power to make your file proceed in as timely a manner as possible, but please recognize these constraints.

Professional Practice Exam

What is the Professional Practice Exam?
The Professional Practice Exam (PPE) is a national exam on Law and Ethics administered by the Association of Professional Engineers, Geoscientists of Alberta (APEGA). You may write the exam in Manitoba. Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba holds exams three times a year.
Is there a change to the number of questions on the exam?
Yes. Ten questions have been added. There are now 110 questions.
Now that there are 110 questions, do I have extra time to complete my exam?
Yes. To allow you more time to answer all 110 questions on the exam, an additional 30 minutes have been added. In total, you are given 2.5 hours to complete the exam.
Is the exam still offered on one day?
You now have more flexibility in writing the exam. Depending on demand, exam days range from one to three days, with a morning and afternoon timeslot on each day.
Where can I take my exam?
The computerized NPPE provides access to a large selection of test centre locations in Manitoba and across Canada. When you first register for the NPPE through your online profile, you will specify your preferred location where you would like to write the exam.

20 days prior to the exam, the locations are finalized based on demand and availability, you will receive an email from Yardstick Testing Centre inviting you to book your desired location from the available test centres. Your confirmation email will include all details (test centre location, date, timeslot and additional instructions for exam day).

Please contact the Pre-Registration Coordinator for the session cancelation deadline.
Who is the vendor providing the new testing service?
Yardstick has been carefully selected to provide exam delivery software and services for the NPPE. This award-winning vendor has been chosen based on its excellent reputation in providing computer-based testing services to clients around the world, including large-sized associations such as IATA and the Insurance Institute of Canada.
Is the computer-based NPPE more difficult than the paper-based exam?
No. The computer-based NPPE is the same as the paper-based exam.
Can I familiarize myself with the computer-based exam software before taking the exam?
Yes. Once you register for the computer-based exam, you will have free access to a tutorial quiz prior to the exam date, which will be very similar to the actual exam software.
Is the computer-based NPPE still a multiple-choice exam?
Yes. The computer-based exam still consists of multiple-choice questions with four possible answers for each question.
How do the questions appear on screen?
The questions will appear one at a time on your screen.
If I change my mind, can I go back and change my answer?
Yes. You may move between questions and change answers at any point during the exam.
How do I time my exam?
The exam supervisor at the test centre will time the exam. There will also be a timer on your monitor that lets you know how much time you have left.
If there is an interruption during my exam due to a power failure or computer malfunction, will I lose all of my answers?
No. Your answers are saved on a central server. If the power or Internet is interrupted, you will be able to continue with the exam where you left off, even if you switch computers.
Will the NPPE be available in both English and French?
Yes. The exam will be available in both English and French, and applicants can switch on the spot between English and French versions if they choose.
I have special needs. Can I still take the computer-based exam?
Yes. Every effort will be made to accommodate applicants with special needs. Large print, extra time, a separate room, special lighting, and other requests require the approval of the Association. Please contact the Pre-Registration Program Coordinator for more detail.
When will I receive the results after I take the computer-based exam?
Your results will be available through your online member profile approximately four weeks after you write the exam. No results will be given out over the phone. Candidates who do not pass get a written letter with a report that outlines their strong and weak areas to help them improve on future attempts of the exam. Please note that the report does not define your grade, but simply PASS or FAIL.

Professional Member

I am registered elsewhere in Canada. Can I apply to become a Professional Member of Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba?
If you are registered with another Canadian Engineering or Geoscience association and you have no disciplinary history, you qualify as a Canadian Mobility applicant, eligible to apply for registration as a professional member of Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba under the Agreement on Internal Trade (AIT). See Canadian Mobility Flowchart.

Renewal, Reinstatement, Special Status

I am a Student in the process of applying for the pre-registration program. Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba sent me notice to renew as a student. Do I need to renew?
Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba continues to send student renewals until we receive your Application for Admission to pre-registration. If you received your student renewal notice, then please disregard it and make sure that you submit your application for pre-registration promptly.
I am a former member of the Association. May I reinstate as a practising Professional Member?
Yes, under conditions outlined in the Manual of Admissions (PDF). Read this manual carefully. The process by which you reinstate depends on many factors including whether or not you:
  • Are in good standing with the Association (provided notice of resignation)
  • Have practised within the last two years
  • Are currently registered with another Canadian association
  • Have been participating in a continuing professional development program with another Canadian association
If I am a Retired Member or a member On Leave, can I revert to a practising Professional Member?
Yes, but you may have to meet certain conditions to resume unrestricted practice. See question 2 (above).
I plan to retire or resign from Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba. Do you have any advice?
We strongly advise that you maintain a membership in at least one Canadian association. This will make the process easier if you wish to reinstate your membership with Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba. All the provinces follow the inter-association mobility agreement and while some associations have residency and citizenship requirements, Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba does not.

Watch your time limits! For example, if you retire, then later wish to return to become a practising Professional Member, this is most easily done within four years of going on retired status.
I allowed my Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba membership to lapse without notice of resignation and was therefore de-registered. Can I still reinstate my membership with the Association?
Yes. You must pay a de-registration fee plus the reinstatement fee to reinstate as a member of Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba.
Who do I contact for more information about reinstatement with Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba?

US Licensee

Should I apply for US Temporary Licence or US Mobility?
Everyone who is eligible for U.S. Mobility MUST start as a Temporary licensee. This is because one of the requirements of full U.S. mobility is the writing of the National Professional Practice Examination or NPPE. It is only possible to write it after you are in the Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba system (or from another provincial associations' system).

Once you have written and passed this exam and provided you meet the other criteria for U.S. Mobility (see below), you may apply for U.S. Mobility, usually at the time of your next renewal period. You may elect to apply earlier than the next renewal period, but an application fee will still be charged.

The NPPE is a two (or three) hour closed book exam written by all Canadian engineers and geoscientists in all provinces. It is NOT the same as the ABC test which is open book and unique to Engineers Geoscientists Manitoba.

In the very unusual case where you may have written the Professional Practice examination already, but for some reason are NOT registered in another Canadian province, please contact the Registration Coordinator or Director of Admissions for guidance.
What are the criteria for U.S. Mobility?
  1. Graduation from a ABET/EAC accredited engineering program (or geoscience equivalent) within the continental United States.
  2. Passing of the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) and the Professional Engineering (PE) exam(s) through NCEES.
  3. Currently registered and in good standing in at least one U.S. State.
  4. Have completed a minimum of four years of approved engineering experience as indicated by you NCEES record.
If I'm a Temporary licensee, but I don't meet the U.S. Mobility criteria because, for example, my Bachelor's degree is from another country, what do I do?
You can continue to be a temporary licensee. Temporary licensees have most of the benefits of being a P.Eng., including right to title and the ability to be named on a certificate of authorization. The difference is that an application is required every year and you must write the ABC test once every three years.
I'm a PE from the States, but I'm also registered as a P.Eng. from Alberta, what should I do?
Engineers and Geoscientists registered in the United States are eligible for U.S. Temporary licensure, however, if they are ALSO registered in a Canadian province, they should NOT apply for Temporary licensure, they should apply for full Manitoba registration.
Which application should I use?
US temporary licensees and US Mobilities both use the standard Application for Admission. To start as a temporary licensee, you must do the following:
  1. Apply to write the online ABC test by sending an email to our Registration Coordinator with your first name, last name and email address. She will enter this information which will create a profile for you and allow you to log in and write the test. Instructions for logging in.
  2. Around the same time you should submit your application to the Registration Coordinator so that the rest of the information can be entered to your profile.
  3. Once your application has been received AND she has received online notification that you have passed the ABC test, your file will be eligible to be forwarded to the Registration Committee for review and approval.

Specified Scope of Practice License

See the Specified Scope of Practice License web page.

[] [] []